A nationwide quality initiative for disabled people
Within the framework of its policy in favour of accessibility for disabled people to holidays and leisure, the French Secretary of State for Tourism introduced a 'Quality Initiative' for welcoming people with specific needs, in partnership with tourism trade professionals and associations representing disabled people. This task was delegated to the 'Tourisme & Handicaps' association, created on 28 February 2001.
The Tourisme & Handicap label is a response to the request of disabled people who wish to be able to choose their holidays and leisure activities in total freedom, and be guaranteed accessibility to the facilities and amenities proposed..
Objectives of the label
- For a disabled tourist, the Tourisme & Handicap label shows a commitment on the part of tourism and leisure operators to making facilities and amenities accessible, and guarantees an efficient and adapted welcome.
- For tourism professionals, the label is a mark of recognition for their efforts to make places and facilities accessible to disabled visitors, and it also gives them a competitive edge over places without an official label.
Implementation of the label
The label may be granted to a venue for 2, 3, or 4 disabilities: physical, visual, hearing and mental. The pictogram corresponding to the disability for which the amenities are accessible is displayed next to the 'Tourisme & Handicap' logo. For example, the pictogram 'physical disability' guarantees the necessary adaptable amenities for a person in a wheelchair (lift, sanitary facilities, ramp, etc.). It is therefore essential for the visitor to check for which category of disability/disabilities the facilities are adapted.
The list of operators likely to receive the label is huge:
- Accomodation: hotels, holiday villages, B&Bs, aparthotels, furnished rentals, campsites, etc.
- Places to eat: restaurants, bars, brasseries, etc.
- Tourist attractions: monuments, museums, galleries, chateaux, parks and gardens, etc.
- Leisure venues and attractions: theme parks, concert halls, sports facilities, etc.
Find out more about the Tourisme & Handicap label
For disabled visitors:
Hotels in Paris with the label
Hotels near to Paris with the label
Hotels in the Paris region with the label
Museums and monuments in Paris with the label
Museums and monuments in the Paris region with the label
Contact the Tourisme & Handicaps association:
43, rue Marx Dormoy - 75018 Paris - France
Tel.: +33 (0)1 44 11 10 41 - Fax: +33 (0)1 45 55 99 60