On 16 February 2018, the Asian community celebrates the Chinese New Year, sometimes called the ‘Spring Festival’ or the ‘Festival of the Tết’ by the Vietnamese. In 2018, the Year of the Rooster makes way for the Year of the Dog!
In Paris, many neighbourhoods take on a festive atmosphere, are decked out with decorations and organize special events for the occasion. Dragons, paper lanterns, dancing lions, firecrackers, illuminated Chinese lanterns… Make way for the parades!
In the Chinese Quarter in the 13th arrondissement
The Chinese New Year parade is on Sunday, 25 February 2018. As the oldest parade in Paris, it also attracts the largest crowds.
The planned route:
- 44 avenue d’Ivry
- Avenue de Choisy
- Boulevard Masséna
- Avenue d’Ivry
Many free festive events are taking place for the Chinese New Year, from 19 February to 3 March 2018 in the 13th arrondissement.
- 23 February 2018 at 6.30pm: concert Music' Harmonie, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 24 February 2018 at 7.30pm: Show in the 13th Festive event, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 26 February 2018 at 7.30pm: screening and discussion of the film ‘Les Travailleurs Chinois de la Grande Guerre’ by Karim Houfaïd, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 27 February 2018 at 7.30pm: ‘Artisan and Artist lecture - The Gateway to Prints from the 16th to the 20th Century’, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 1 March 2018 at 7.30pm: ‘Daoyin: breathing and self-massage’, a lecture on traditional Chinese medicine, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 2 March 2018 at 7.30pm: concert – ‘Aube de Printemps’ (‘Dawn of Spring’), reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 3 March 2018 from 4pm, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall: Lanterns Festival – workshops and activities
As well as exhibitions:
- ‘Beautiful traditions of the Spring Festival’, from 19 to 23 February 2018, Galerie Bièvre
- ‘Best wishes from Kwok’, from 19 to 23 February 2018, Galerie Athéna et Antichambre
- ‘Artisan and Artist lecture - The Gateway to Prints from the 16th to the 20th Century’, from 26 February to 2 March 2018, Galeries de la Mairie
More info on the parade and festivities in the 13th arrondissement
In the Chinese Quarter in the 3th arrondissement
A week of festive cultural celebrations livens up the 3rd arrondissement from 12 to 17 February 2018. On the programme, entertainment for all ages: an exhibition, concerts, calligraphy and origami workshops, storytelling, a talk, Lion Dance, a show featuring traditional dances …
- From 12 to 17 February 2018: an exhibition of paintings by Chinese artists.
- On 12 February 2018, at 7pm: a classical concert with young artists of the ‘International Youth Committee’.
- On 13 February, from 4.30pm to 5.30pm: a calligraphy workshop. From 6pm to 7pm: an origami workshop. At 7pm: a talk by Yu Zhou and Sergio Costa on the history of popular Chinese songs.
- On 14 February: activities for children: 2pm: dog mask making workshop. 3pm and 4pm: storytelling at the Marguerite Audoux library. 4pm: Kpop lesson
- On 15 February: at 7pm: an evening event at the 3rd arrondissement town hall to offer good wishes to the Chinese community (Lion Dance and show featuring traditional dances).
- 16 February, at 7pm: piano concert
- 17 February: 10.30 am / 11.30am: introductory workshop on Gu Qi Dao. 11.30am / 12.30pm: Qi Gung lesson. 12.30pm / 1.30pm: presentation of therapeutic Gigong
More info on special events in the 3rd arrondissement
In the Belleville district (10th, 11th, 19th and 20th arrondissements)
In Belleville, the date for the Chinese New Year parade is to be confirmed.
The planned route:
- Metro Belleville
- Boulevard de la Villette
- Rue Rebeval
- Rue Jules Romains
- Rue de Belleville
- Rue Louis Bonnet
- Rue de la Présentation
- Rue du Faubourg du Temple
- Metro Belleville
There will be entertainment in front of the Town Hall of the 11th arrondissement on 14 February from 4pm.
Grand concert for the Chinese New Year at the Philharmonie de Paris
The Philharmonie de Paris is staging a weekend dedicated to China from 9 to 11 February 2018. On the programme: opera, chamber music, symphonic concert, cinema-concert, shows for young public, visit &workshop ... The highlight of the festivities: a grand concert for the Chinese New Year, on 11 February 2018, which features the Shanghai Chinese Orchestra directed by Muhai Tang.
At the Panoramic Observatory of the Montparnasse Tower
The 56th floor of the Montparnasse Tower is celebrating the Chinese New Year on 10 and 11 February 2018 with a varied programme of entertainment on the theme of China: makeup workshop, introduction to Tai Chi, calligraphy, Chinese cakes and drinks.
10 and 11 February 2018, from 2pm to 6pm.
Festive activities are free for people with an admission ticket. Free entry for children under 4 years
Live Escape Game at the Musée Cernuschi
To celebrate the Chinese New Year, the Cernuschi museum is organizing a giant live escape game in their permanent collections on 17 and 18 February 2018. Mysterious phenomena loom within the museum and only an outstanding detective, an expert in the supernatural, can solve the puzzle! Let yourself be drawn into this unusual experience.
Team: from 4 to 6 people. Duration of game: 1 hour. Price: €10 per person.
In an upscale Parisian hotel
The Michelin-starred hotels of the capital are also celebrating with gastronomic Chinese cuisine. The Camélia restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental Paris is offering a brunch full of Asian flavours. Price: €98 per person or €118 with a glass of champagne. Under 12s: €54.
The Peninsula Paris hotel is marking Chinese New Year in haute couture style: with vibrant red decor and a New Year’s Eve meal of eight Shanghainese dishes in its restaurant Lili, not forgetting the traditional lion dances on 15 and 16 February.
The Shangri-La will mark the incoming New Year with a lion dance from 11am on 16 February, choreographed by the Kung Fu Pak Mei school of Lao Wei San. And the Michelin-starred Shang Palace restaurant is offering Cantonese cuisine on 15 and 16 February. Tasting menu: €168 per person. Food and wine pairing: €88 per person.
In the Paris region
Each year, the towns of Courbevoie and Aubervilliers offer special colourful Chinese events: parades, shows, workshops ...
In Noisy-le-Grand (93), the Chinese New Year takes place on 29 January 2017, in front of the Espace Michel-Simon. On the programme: Asian village, martial arts demonstrations, make-up and mask-making, Lion Dance … Parade at 3.30pm: departing from in front of the Espace Michel-Simon. At 5pm: closing show of the event in the garden of the Town Hall.
The Huatian Chinagora Hotel in Alfortville celebrates the Chinese New Year with a fireworks display on 15 February at 9.30pm and the Lion Dance on 16 February at 12 noon.