Due to a social movement, the public transport service in Paris as well as opening times at certain museums and monuments will be disrupted from the evening of 4 December to 27 January, with the risk of strikes continuing in the following days.
Public transport: update on the situation
Traffic will continue to operate on metro lines 1, 7bis, 10 and 14, the Orlyval, Roissybus and Orlybus, the Montmartre funicular services throughout the day (24 January) with saturation risks during peak hours.
- Line 2: 1 train out of 2 from 6.30 a.m. to 9.30 a.m. and 4.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. and 1 train out of 3 during off-peak hours. Funicular: Normal traffic. Closed stations: Pigalle, Barbés-Rochechouart, Jaurés. Station closed from 12 noon on police orders: Charles de Gaulle-Etoile.
- line 3: 1 train out of 5 from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. and from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. between Pont de Levallois and Opéra. Interrupted traffic from 5.30 a.m. to 6.30 a.m. / 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. / 7.30 p.m.
- line 3bis: 1 train out of 2 from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm. Traffic interrupted from 5.30 a.m. to 6.30 a.m. and from 7.30 p.m. to end of service.
- line 4: 1 train out of 2 from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., 1 out of 3 from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Traffic interrupted from 5.30 a.m. to 6.30 a.m. and from 7.30 p.m. to end of service. Closed stations: Gare de l'Est, Marcadet Poissonniers, Barbès - Rochechouart, Réaumur Sébastopol and Montparnasse Welcome.
- line 5: 1 train out of 3 from 5.30 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Traffic interrupted from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and from 9:00 p.m. to end of service. Closed stations: Oberkampf - Jaurès - Gare de l'Est.
- Line 6: 1 train out of 4 from 5.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. and from 3.30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Traffic interrupted from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and from 8:00 p.m. to end of service. Closed station: Montparnasse Bienvenue. Station closed from 12 noon on police orders: Charles de Gaulle-Etoile.
- line 7: 1 train out of 2 from 5:30 am to end of service. Closed station: Porte de Choisy and Gare de l'Est. Station closed from 12 noon on police orders: Palais Royal Musée du Louvre.
- Line 8: 1 train out of 3 from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. and 1 train out of 4 during off-peak hours. Station closed from 10:30 am on the orders of the Police: Concorde.
- line 9: 2 trains out of 3 from 5:30 am to end of service. Closed station: Oberkampf. Station closed from 12 noon on police orders: Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- line 11: 2 trains out of 3 from 5:30 am to end of service.
- line 12: 1 train in 2 from 6.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. and from 3.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. Interrupted traffic from 5.30 a.m. to 6.30 a.m. / 10.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. / 9.30 p.m. at the end of service. Closed stations: Marcadet-Poissonniers, Pigalle, Montparnasse-Bienvenue. Station closed by order of the Police, from 10:30 a.m. Concorde from noon: Solférino and National Assembly.
- line 13: 1 train out of 4 from 5.30 am to 8 pm between St Denis University and Duroc. Traffic interrupted from 5.30 am to 8 pm between Châtillon Montrouge and Duroc and Asniéres Gennevilliers Les Courtilles and La Fourche. Traffic interrupted from 8:00 p.m. at the end of service on the entire line. Closed station: Montparnasse-Bienvenue. Station closed from 12 noon on police orders: Champs Elysées Clemenceau.
will be affected but will run at peak hours on 24 January 2020. The RATP advises people to limit their movements.
The RER will continue to operate
- RER A: normal service.RER B: normal service.
- RER C: 3 trains out of 4.
- RER D: Service almost normal.
- RER E: 4 trains out of 5 on average. But end of service at 10:30 p.m. due to work.
- Line H: 3 trains out of 4.
- Line J: Nearly normal service.
- Line K: Normal service.
- Line L: Normal service.
- Line N: Normal service.
- Line P: Normal service.
- Line R: Nearly normal service
- Montereau via Moret-sur-Loing and Montargis: normal service
- Montereau via Héricy: 4 trains out of 5.
- Line U: Normal service.
- Tram T4: 1 tram every 12 minutes including on the new branch which now serves the Clichy-Montfermeil plateau
- Tram T11: Normal service
The rail company SNCF advises travellers to take other means of transport; train traffic will be disrupted from 5 December. You can exchange or cancel your train ticket now, free of charge or at no extra cost.
Following a general strike notice in France, Eurostar has reduced the frequency of trains from 5 December to 13 January. You can check the traffic situation here
Thalys plans to run 2 out of 3 trains. All tickets for journeys from 5/12 to 19/01 are exchangeable according to availability or refundable at no extra cost. You can check the traffic situation here
Some air traffic is impacted by the social movement; travellers departing and arriving from French airports are advised to check with their airline company to ensure that their flight is running as scheduled.
Museums and monuments open: update on the situation
We recommend that you keep up to date with the situation via our Twitter Paris Je T'aime account.
- Musée d’Orsay (temporary exhibitions and gallery of the Impressionists open at 5.pm)
- Musée de l’Orangerie (closes at 5.pm)
- Musée du Louvre (18/01 disturbed, delayed opening, some rooms are closed)
- Tour Eiffel (open, the top level is closed until 7 February)
- Palace of Versailles (open)
- Théâtre des Champs-Elysées (open as usual)
- Musée du quai Branly-Jacques Chirac (closes at 6pm)
- Grand Palais (open as usual)
- Panthéon (open from 11am to 4pm)
- Petit Palais (open, closes at 5pm)
- Maison de Balzac (open, closes at 5pm)
- Musée Cognacq-Jay (open, closes at 5pm)
- Jardin des Plantes : « Océan en voie d’illumination », la Ménagerie, le parcours permanent de la Grande Galerie de l'Évolution, le Cabinet de Réalité virtuelle, la Galerie des Enfants et la Bibliothèque centrale (open as usual)
- Jardin des Plantes : exhibition « Océan, une plongée insolite », la Galerie de Paléontologie et d'Anatomie comparée, la Galerie de Minéralogie et de Géologie, la Galerie de Botanique, les Grandes Serres (closed)
- Musée Picasso (open, the museum closes at 5pm)
- Palais de la Découverte (open, closes at 5.30pm)
- Cité des Sciences (open, closes at 5.30pm)
- Musée Nissim de Camondo (open as usual)
- Musée des Arts Décoratifs (open as usual)
- Musée de l'Armée (open as usual)
- Centre Pompidou (open, closes at 6pm)
- Arc de Triomphe (open as usual)
- Sainte Chapelle (open as usual)
- Conciergerie (open, closes at 5pm)
- Sèvres - Manufacture et Musée nationaux (open, closes at 5pm)
- Musée Delacroix (open)
- Catacombes (closes at 5pm)
- Opéra de Paris (to be disturbed)
- Musée des Arts et Métiers (open)
- Palais de Tokyo (open from 12pm to 7pm)
- Jeu de Paume (open)
- Musée de l'Homme (open)
- Zoo de Paris (open)
- Musée Zadkine (open, closes at 5pm)
- Musée Bourdelle (open, closes at 5pm)
- Musée de la Libération de Paris - Musée du général Leclerc – Musée Jean Moulin (open, closes at 5pm)
- Musée de la Vie Romantique (open, closes at 5pm)
- Musée d'Art Moderne de Paris (open, closes at 5pm)
- Musée Gustave Moreau (open as usual)
- Cité de l'Architecture (open as usual)
- Musée de Cluny (open as usual)
- Maison Européenne de la Photographie (open as usual)
- Palais de la Porte Dorée (open as usual)
- BNF (open, closes at 6pm, some rooms are closed)
- Musée de la Poste (open as usual)
- Fondation Cartier (open as usual)
- La Fondation Le Corbusier (open, closes at 5pm from 6 to 11 January)
- Maison la Roche (open, closes at 5pm from 6 to 11 January, closed on 9 January)
- Fondation Louis Vuitton (open but the shuttle might be disturbed, closes at 6pm)
How to get around in Paris when there is a strike
Several alternatives are proposed so that public transport users can get around in the capital. The RATP has put in place several partnerships offering attractive offers on applications for carpooling, private-hire taxis and other taxis, self-service cars, bicycles and motor scooters, scooters and parking spaces. Please see here for information.
The Vélib' service is stepping up its teams and customer service to provide a greater number of bicycles and to answer users' questions. More information here
The Open Tour sightseeing bus tours company will not be impacted by the social movement. You will therefore be able to get around Paris and see the capital’s landmark sites on the 3 different itineraries offered. Following the demonstration on Thursday 16 January, our lines will be disrupted and will cause route changes. The closed stops are Nos. 42 and 43. For security reasons, some stops may no longer be served and the service interrupted at any time.
To get around in the centre of Paris, the Batobus serves the stops: Tour-Eiffel, Invalides / Pont Alexandre III, Musée d'Orsay, St-Germain-des-Prés, Notre-Dame, Jardin des Plantes/Cité de la Mode et du Design, Hôtel-de-ville, Louvre and Place de la Concorde. Pass Navigo holders are entitled to a reduction.
How to get to the airport
Before going to the airport, it strongly recommended that you anticipate any changes to your flight by checking with your airline for the latest flight information. As road traffic is very dense, it is recommended that you take this into account and allow extra time for your journey.
More information here
From 2 to 15 December 2019, Paris Aéroport is offering 10 minutes free parking in all its car parks and offering a 25% discount on all online bookings for parking for an entry during these dates.
For getting to and from the Paris airports, it is recommended that you use the Bus Direct which has increased its service from 5 December and that you anticipate your journey time by checking the traffic situation. The Bus Direct serves the following stops: Gare de Lyon, Gare Montparnasse, Etoile/Champs-Elysées, Porte Maillot/Palais des Congrès, Tour Eiffel/Suffren and Trocadéro.
Due to strong demand, it is advisable to book a taxi or private taxi (Uber) in advance. Official Paris taxis have fixed price rates for journeys between Paris Charles de Gaulle and Paris Orly.
- Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris rive droite (right bank): €50
- Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris rive gauche (left bank): €55
- Paris-Orly and Paris (left bank): €30
- Paris-Orly and Paris (right bank): €35
To get to Paris-Orly airport: The Orlyval service is operational all day
To get to Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport: The RER B service is very disrupted therefore, it is advisable to use another means of transport to get to or from the airport.