On the site François-Mitterrand, a building whose four angular towers symbolize four open books, overlooking the banks of the 13th arrondissement of Paris, more than 15 million books and printed works are preserved.
It is here, born from the need to enlarge and modernize the institution, that the National Library proposes an ambitious cultural season (temporary exhibitions, conferences, readings, concerts).
- Art monumental
- Arts graphiques
- Instruments et objets d'art
- Lettres autographes
Epoque des collections
- Egypte antique (3000 av JC)
- Grèce antique (800 av JC au Ier ap JC)
- Rome antique (VIIe av JC au Ve ap JC)
- Paléochrétien (Ier - IVe)
- Byzance (IVe - XVe)
- Moyen Age (Ve - XVe)
- Islam (VIIe)
- Roman (Xe - XIIe)
- Gothique (XIIe - XVe)
- Renaissance (XVe - XVIe)
- Maniérisme (XVIe)
- Baroque (XVIe - XVIIe)
- Rococo (XVIIIe)
- Néoclassicisme (XVIIIe - XIXe)
- Romantisme (XVIIIe - XIXe)
- Réalisme (XIXe)
- Impressionnisme (XIXe)
- Symbolisme (XIXe)
- Fauvisme (XXe)
- Cubisme (XXe)
- Modernisme (XXe)
Services and facilities of the establishment
- Educational activities
- Gift shop
- Car park/Parking
- Visitor tools
- Free Wifi
Documentation in a foreign language
Educational activitiesFor ages 9 to 13: Discovering medieval writing Sessions at 3pm, lasting 2 hours Price: €5 per child (registration required) For ages 7 to 11: Pop-up card creating workshop Session at 3pm, lasting 2 hours Price: €5 per child (registration required) Illustration for beginners workshop Sessions at 3pm, lasting 2 hours Price: €5 per child (registration required) The Legend of King Arthur Sessions at 3pm, lasting 2 hours Price: €5 per child (registration required) For ages 3 to 6: Storytime Sessions on Sundays at 4pm, booking required 4 hands workshop Sessions at 11am, lasting 1 hour Price: €5 per person (registration required) Family workshops: Investigation at the National Library of France! Guided tour at 3pm, for groups, reservation required, lasting 90 minutes Price: €5 per person
Combined ticketsFor certain events - Coupled ticket: for 2 exhibtions at the National Library of France at a preferential rate - Twinned ticket: with another cultural institution for certain exhibitions
RestaurantCafé des Globes, open Tuesday to Saturday from 10am to 6.30pm and on Sundays from 1pm to 6.30pm, 130 seated places
Prices and times
Entrance fees and modalities
Group tour€45 for a group of 15 to 20 people.
Free for young people and childrenUnder 12 years old
Methods of payment
- Chèque Vacances
Sustainable development approach
The National Library of France has been committed to a sustainable development policy since 2007: green spaces are treated ecologically and favour the development of biodiversity, waste can be sorted in public spaces, works have allowed for a reduction in energy consumption.
Offer adapted to disabled visitors
- Adapted activities and visits
- Loan of wheelchairs
- Visual impairment: secure guiding path with tactile floor and sound terminals from the edge of the site to the welcome desk, transparent glass walls/doors marked with contrasting elements, no head-level obstacles in the corridors, stairs with tactile and visual contrast before first step down with continuous hand rail and contrasting step edges, lift with speakers to announce floor numbers, portable electronic magnifying glasses, video enlargers, reading machines, Vocale Presse software, braille and large font, adapted exhibitions.
- Hearing impairment: magnetic induction loop, subscription to a French Sign Language interpreting service and real-time subtitles at all information points (this subscription also allows deaf and hard-of-hearing visitors to contact the Library online before arrival), auditoriums and certain public telephones equipped with induction loops, tours and conferences interpreted in French Sign Language, audio headsets with induction loop available.
- Mental disability: trained/educated staff, easy to understand and legible signs with pictograms, entrance monitored by CCTV and visible from reception.
More details on accessibility
Extend your search
Exhibition and Trade Show venue in the same district: Gare d'Austerlitz - Bibliothèque nationale de France F. Mitterrand
Exhibition and Trade Show venue in the same arrondissement: 13th arrondissement
Exhibition and Trade Show venue in Paris and in the Paris Region: Exhibition and Trade Show venue