Domaine de Grosbois

Domaine de Grosbois - Avenue du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny - 94470 Boissy-Saint-Léger

94 - Val-de-Marne


Since 1226, Grosbois has been part of the royal estate, with King Jean II Le Bon having built a chapel dedicated to Saint Jean-Baptiste in the village. It was at the end of the 16th century in 1562, that Raoul Moreau, Epargne treasurer, became the owner and built the chateau, which was then sold 20 years later to Charles de Valoir, duke of Angoulême. The duke made drastic changes to the chateau and designed the park, giving it the appearance that we recognize today. Then, in 1623 he had the surrounding wall built. The dining room has period decoration with frescos by Abraham Bosse. When the duke died in 1650, many other people took over until the Revolution. In 1797, Barras, one of the Thermidor vanquishers, acquired the Grosbois area: it was split between three Generals that governed France at the time. Upon his return from Egypt, Napoleon Bonaparte took over the 18 Brumaire and Barras was placed under house arrest before being exiled to Brussels. The owner of Grosbois changed once more to General Moreau. Then, in 1805, marshal Berthier, a dignitary of the Empire, bought Grosbois. He expanded the area to the surroundings grounds and woods to provide the best hunting for the Empire. A Napoleonic presence was created in the castle through the decor of each room (Empire furnishings by Jacob Frères, paintings and family portraits, a battles gallery, Aubusson upholstered chairs, fan collections, frescos etc.) His son, Napoleon Berthier, also created the library where you can find over 3000 military and historic works as well as a collection of battle maps and plans.

Services and facilities of the establishment

  • Educational activities
  • Car park/Parking

Languages spoken

  • English

Educational activities

Different visits for school groups are organized: treasure hunt, theatrical visit, bilingual visit ...

Entrance fees and modalities

Guided tour

All guided tours of the Domaine de Grosbois are listed on

Group tour

Visits are systematically guided. Only on reservation. 15 people minimum. Training Center or Castle + Trotting Museum: €8/person. Pass training center + Castle + Trotting Museum: €15/person. Guided tours for groups: guided tour of the training center (€160), guided tour of the castle (€180) ... Visits for school groups are also organized: treasure hunt, theatrical visit, bilingual tour ...

Methods of payment

  • CB/Visa
  • Eurocard/Mastercard

Opening times

Domaine de Grosbois is accessible by appointment only. Visits are systematically guided. Booking on
Some dates are however open for individuals: European Heritage Days (3rd weekend of September), European Days of Crafts (1st weekend of April) and on the occasion of classical music concerts organized in the dance hall of the castle.

Voir la carte

Domaine de Grosbois

Domaine de Grosbois - Avenue du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny
94470 Boissy-Saint-Léger
Tel.. +33 (0) 1 49 77 15 24

  • RER - Boissy Saint-Léger
  • By car : Route (national/departmental) : RN19.

Chateau in the same district: 94 - Val-de-Marne

Chateau in Paris and in the Paris Region: Chateau

Book your activity

see more offers