Monument

Le Moulin de Longchamp

Hippodrome de Longchamp - 2 route des Tribunes - 75016 Paris

Bois de Boulogne - 16e Arrondissement

Description

The Longchamp racecourse mill is also known by the name of the Rouvray mill. It was built in 1312 in the midst of the abbaye de Longchamp, established in 1255 by Isabelle of France, daughter of King Louis VIII and sister of Saint-Louis. This mill on a pivot turned to grind the community's grain. In 1792 the nuns were expelled and the buildings sold. The abbey was destroyed in 1795, however, the mill was preserved. It remained inactive until 1809, when it was used to pump water from the lower to the upper lake. In the 19th century the pivot mill was replaced by a mill with a stone tower. Its new purpose: to decorate the Longchamp racecourse, inaugurated in 1857. The Longchamp mill is empty and therefore not open to visitors; it can be seen from the Suresnes road but is surrounded by an enclosure so there is no direct access.

Epoque des collections

  • Néoclassicisme (XVIIIe - XIXe)
  • Romantisme (XVIIIe - XIXe)
  • Réalisme (XIXe)
  • Impressionnisme (XIXe)
  • Symbolisme (XIXe)

Entrance fees and modalities

Independent tour

Free

Opening times

It is possible to enter the Longchamp racecourse grounds except on race days, which are usually Thursday and Sunday. Telephone the racecourse in advance.

Voir la carte

Le Moulin de Longchamp

Hippodrome de Longchamp - 2 route des Tribunes
75016 Paris

  • Subway - Porte Maillot
  • Bus - 244

Monument in the same district: Bois de Boulogne

Monument in the same arrondissement: 16th arrondissement

Monument in Paris and in the Paris Region: Monument

Book your activity

see more offers