Musée national Eugène Delacroix Member

6 rue de Furstenberg - 75006 Paris

Musée d'Orsay - Saint-Germain-des-Prés - 6e Arrondissement


The museum occupies part of the apartment on Place Fürstenberg, where the painter died, and his workshop which opens onto a private garden. In 1857 Eugène Delacroix, who was sick and tired, decided to leave Notre-Dame de Lorette to be closer to the Eglise Saint-Sulpice where he had been responsible for decorating the Chapelle des Saints-Anges, considered as his spiritual testament. After his death on 13 August 1863, various tenants occupied the apartment until plans came about to destroy the workshop and replace it with a garage. It was at this point that two painters, Maurice Denis and Paul Signac, great admirers of Delacroix, as well as various other personalities, created the Société des Amis d'E. Delacroix in order to prevent this sacrilegious destruction.
In 1951, the building was put up for sale. Without the necessary funds to buy the house, the Société des Amis sold some of the collections to the State in order to buy the property. En 1954, they made a donation to the State who comitted to creating a museum there. In an intimate setting, the recently renovated museum offers a personal approach to the work of the great artist through a selection of paintings, drawings, watercolours, pastels, sketches, preparatory studies as well as letters from and photos of those who were close to him (Charles Baudelaire, Théophile Gautier, George Sand and Léon Riesener). This collection provides an insight into the creative wealth of one of the great figures of French painting.
Since 2004, the Musée Eugène Delacroix, which is attached to the administration of the Louvre, presents the same criteria for free entry and the same tariffs for groups and cultural activities as those of the Louvre.


  • Aquarelles
  • Dessins
  • Littérature
  • Pastels
  • Peinture
  • Photographie


Private garden.

Membre du Paris Museum Pass

Services and facilities of the establishment

  • Educational activities
  • Gift shop
  • Bookshop
  • Member of the Paris Museum Pass

Documentation in a foreign language

  • English

Educational activities

Workshops for children aged 10 to 13. Study of pastel technique in groups of 20 children. Information and bookings: +33 (0)1 44 41 86 59.

Combined tickets

Combined ticket for the Musée Delacroix and the Musée du Louvre available for €15. Valid on the day of purchase for permanent collections.

Entrance fees and modalities

Independent tour

Permanent collection: €7.
Combined ticket "Delacroix + Louvre" €15

Guided tour

Guided tours led by a member of staff from the museum take place everyday except Sundays and public holidays. You must reserve via the 'Visites-Conférences' department of the Musée du Louvre by telephone on: +33 (0)1 40 20 51 77.

Group tour

Reservations are free and compulsory for groups of over 7 people. Call +33 (0)1 40 20 57 60, or +33 (0)1 40 20 58 32 or contact us by fax on +33 (0)1 40 20 58 24.


Free for all on the first Sunday of every month and 14 July.
Under 26s from countries within the European Union. Members of Louvre-jeunes. Holders of the Carte Louvre Etudiants, Partenaires, Enseignant, Faimilles or Professionels. Pass-Education holders. Members of Cercle Louvre Entreprises. Students of the Ecole du Louvre and the Institut National du Patrimoine. Auditors and members of the Ecole du Louvre association (except regional auditors and evening classes). "Amis" of the Musée National Eugène Delacroix or the Musée du Louvre. Tour guides and speakers linked to the ministries in charge of culture and tourism or linked to the Réunion des Musées Nationaux. Artists that are members of the Maison des Artistes or the International Association of Art. Journalists with a press pass. Job seekers. Those on welfare benefits. People with civil disabilities or victims of war as well as an accompanying person.

Free for young people and children

Under 18s

Closing times


Exceptional closure

Open everday except Tuesdays.
January 1st, May 1st, Christmas

Opening times


Late opening

First Thursday of the month until 9pm

Exceptional opening

  • Easter
  • Easter Monday
  • Ascension Day
  • 8 May
  • Whitsuntide
  • Whit Monday
  • 14 July
  • 15 August
  • 1 November
  • 11 November

Voir la carte

Musée national Eugène Delacroix

6 rue de Furstenberg
75006 Paris
Tel.. +33 (0) 1 44 41 86 50

  • Subway - Saint-Germain-des-Prés
  • RER - Saint-Michel - Notre-Dame
  • Bus - 39, 63, 70, 86, 95, 96

Access facilities

  • Free admission for disabled visitors on presentation of proof
  • Free admission for the accompanying person

Museum in the same district: Musée d'Orsay - Saint-Germain-des-Prés

Museum in the same arrondissement: 6th arrondissement

Museum in Paris and in the Paris Region: Museum

Book your activity

see more offers