To meet the expectations of visitors keen on responsible tourism, the Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau is encouraging Paris hotels to undertake a sustainable approach to operations through its programme 'For Sustainable Accommodation in Paris'. Through an audit following a visit to the establishment and themed workshops, hoteliers are helped to enhance sustainability: environmental, social and societal.
Launched in June 2012, the Charter for Sustainable Accommodation in Paris has 463 signatories. These hotels commit to making their best effort to:
- Promote sustainable development goals, whether in terms of in-house management or vis-à-vis everyone they have dealings with (transparency, ethics, compliance with laws, respect for human rights, etc.);
- Reduce water and energy use;
- Reduce and recycle waste;
- Implement an eco-responsible purchasing policy;
- Make suppliers and staff aware of sustainability policies;
- Inform guests of sustainability goals and encourage guests to participate in green effort during their stay;
- Welcome disabled (physical, sensory or mental) guests in the best possible conditions and offer them appropriate information on accessibility to tourism establishments and activities;
- Improve working conditions for staff, and their wellbeing at work;
- Promote the natural and cultural heritage of the Paris region;
- Measure progress; durably implement and publicize their policy.
The following is a list of Paris hotels that have signed the Charter.
To find affiliated hotels in the Ile-de-France region and the environs of Paris (near Charles de Gaulle airport, in the business district La Défense etc.):
Hotels near Paris affiliated with the PCVB’s sustainability programme
Some signatories of the PCVB’s sustainability charter have also obtained a Green Key and/or European eco-label and/or Green Globe, EarthCheck or ISO 14001 certification. Other hotels are encouraged to follow suit.