Ceremony and parade on the Champs-Élysées
On 14 July 2022, the famous and magnificent military parade returns to the Champs Élysées avenue. The public will also be back on the iconic Parisian thoroughfare to enjoy this not-to-be-missed event in the French National Day festivities programme.
In 2022, Sharing the Flame is the theme of the two-hour military parade. According to General Christophe Abad, Military Governor of Paris, this theme refers to the flame of the Resistance, embodied by Hubert Germain, the last companion of the Liberation who passed away recently, and also, to the Olympic Flame, which was officially handed to France at the end of the Tokyo Olympic Games for the 2024 Paris Olympic Games. On this occasion, Olympic medallists will also parade down the world's most beautiful avenue. From 10am to midday, the Avenue des Champs-Élysées and sky above Paris welcome 6,300 soldiers on foot, 71 aircraft, 25 helicopters, 221 vehicles and 200 horses of the Republican Guard.
A few details about the programme:
- This year, the parade also honours Ukraine, amidst the sad context of the war on the European continent. As a tribute, Eastern European countries and French troops deployed there as part of NATO will parade on the Champs-Elysées with the flags of nine invited foreign countries: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria.
- The French Air Force is parading its new space command, as well as aviators from the Skyros mission.
- The French Navy honours submariners, with the presence of the crew of the nuclear attack submarine Emeraude.
- The parade ends in song on the Place de la Concorde with a piece composed especially for the occasion, titled ‘France’, performed by Candice Parise.
- The flypast including two Greek Rafales, opens with the traditional Patrouille de France and ends with an American drone Reaper. It takes place at around 10.30am. The spectacle can be enjoyed from the vantage point of the roof of the Grande Arche de la Défense. Special tickets are on sale at €15 per person.
Conditions of access to the military parade of 14 July 2022
- it is advised to arrive very early
- Terraces on the Champs-Élysées will be closed from 8am to 2pm
Metro stations closed from 6.30am to 2pm
Line 1 : Charles de Gaulle-Étoile, George V, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Champs-Élysées-Clémenceau, Concorde and Tuileries
Line 2 : Charles de Gaulle-Étoile
Line 6 : Charles de Gaulle-Étoile
Line 8 : Concorde
Line 9 : Franklin D. Roosevelt
Line 12 : Concorde
Line 13 : Champs-Élysées-Clémenceau
RER A : Charles de Gaulle-Étoile
The French meet their armies
Alongside the parade on the Champs-Élysées, the French will have the opportunity to meet the soldiers in various places in Paris: on the esplanade des Invalides, at the Hôtel de Ville, in the André Citroën Park, at the town hall of the 19th arrondissement and on the Place de la Nation. The programme for the day includes an exhibition of military vehicles, demonstrations, musical and sporting events, flight simulators, etc.