On 5 February 2019, the Asian community celebrates the Chinese New Year, sometimes called the ‘Spring Festival’ or the ‘Festival of the Tết’ by the Vietnamese. In 2019, the Year of the Pig replaces the Year of the Dog!
In Paris, many neighbourhoods take on a festive atmosphere, are decked out with decorations and organize special events for the occasion. Dragons, paper lanterns, dancing lions, firecrackers, illuminated Chinese lanterns… Make way for the parades!
In the Chinese Quarter in the 13th arrondissement
The Chinese New Year parade is on Sunday, 17 February 2019. As the oldest parade in Paris, it also attracts the largest crowds.
The planned route:
- 44 avenue d’Ivry
- Avenue de Choisy
- Boulevard Masséna
- Avenue d’Ivry
Many free festive events are taking place for the Chinese New Year, from 4 February to 17 February 2019 in the 13th arrondissement.
- 8 February 2019 at 6pm: inauguration of celebrations for the Spring Festival followed by the concert ‘Éclosions de printemps’, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 9 February 2019 at 7pm: screening and discussion ‘Ça reste entre nous’ season 2, a web documentary series of short videos that give voice to Asians in France, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 15 February 2019 at 7pm: La Fête en Têt! By storyteller Isabelle Genlis, reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
- 16 February 2019 at 8pm: Show ‘13e Fête’, , reception rooms of the 13th arrondissement Town Hall
As well as exhibitions:
- ‘Ming HEI, Capturer l'âme’, from 4 to 16 February 2019, Galerie Athéna et Antichambre
- ‘L'art de Liancheng YU', from 11 to 16 February 2019, Galerie Bièvre
More info on the parade and festivities in the 13th arrondissement
In the Chinese Quarter in the 3th arrondissement
A week of festive cultural celebrations livens up the 3rd arrondissement from 4 to 10 February 2019. On the programme, entertainment for all ages: an exhibition, concerts, calligraphy and origami workshops, storytelling, a talk, Lion Dance, a show featuring traditional dances …
- From 4 to 9 February 2019: exhibition of photos by Jean-Christophe Grelier, ‘Un visage de la Chine’
- On 5 February 2019, 5pm: Talk on well-being and Chinese medicine by the association France Chine Cultures. 6pm: origami workshop by the association Mouvement Français des Plieurs de Papier. 7pm: Talk on love, sexuality and the Chinese family through literature, in partnership with the Chinese LGBT week. Yoga and dance show by the International Youth Committee.
- On 6 February 2019, activities for children, 2pm: Creative masks and paper-cutting workshop. 3pm: storytelling. 4.30pm: recital of Chinese poems to music. 6pm: dance lessons by the association Echanges Artistiques entre la France et la Chine. 7pm: choir by the overseas Chinese association.
- On 8 February, 7pm: evening of wishes to the Chinese community (lion dance, show of traditional dances …).
- On 9 February, at 10:30am: Qigong lessons by the association France Chine Cultures.
- 10 February, at 2pm: dragon parade Place de la République.
More info on special events in the 3rd arrondissement
In the Belleville district (10th, 11th, 19th and 20th arrondissements)
In Belleville, the Chinese New Year parade starts at 1:30pm on 17 February 2019.
The planned route:
- Metro Belleville
- Boulevard de la Villette
- Rue Rebeval
- Rue Jules Romains
- Rue de Belleville
- Rue Louis Bonnet
- Rue de la Présentation
- Rue du Faubourg du Temple
- Metro Belleville
There will be entertainment in front of the Town Hall of the 11th arrondissement on 6 February 2019 from 4pm.
In the 8th arrondissement
The rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré is also decorated in the colours of the event. On 5 February 2019 at 2.30 pm, the parade opens the celebrations with its mythical dragons and lions, percussionists performing traditional music ... Throughout the week, two huge luminous doors will stand between rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré and rue Royale to welcome in the New Year.
Paris Chinese cultural Centre
‘Les Temps du Corps’, Paris Chinese cultural centre in the 10th arrondissement, is organizing a festival from 6 to 10 February.
- On 6 February 2019, at 10am : workshop ‘Knowledge and tasting of tea’, Meditation session with tea and incense.
- On 7 February 2019, at 10am : workshop ‘Introduction to the philosophy and practice of the Qi Gong’.
- On 8 February 2019, at 10am : workshop ‘Introduction to the practice of Tai Ji Juan’ and musical and artistic evening
- On 9 February 2019, at 10am : workshop ‘Knowledge and tasting of tea’, screening of a film on Taoist monks, activities on calligraphy and dance in traditional outfits.
- On 10 February 2019, at 10am : talks on the philosophy of tea, on chopsticks, screening of a film on Taoist monks, meditation session.
More info on the animations at the Paris Chinese cultural centre
In a parisian museum
With the Chinese Embassy in France, the Centre Pompidou programmes numerous activities on 5 February: workshops for children, visits and other festivities throughout the afternoon. From 3pm to 6.30pm, a big concert by famous Chinese jazzman Luo Ning.
There are activities galore at the Musée Guimet from 8 to 10 February 2019. The programme of events includes workshops ‘Animals of the Zodiac’ in the company of the ceramicist Magali Satgé, a trail with storytelling about the legends of the Lunar New Year …
In an upscale Parisian hotel
The Michelin-starred hotels of the capital are also celebrating with gastronomic Chinese cuisine. The Camélia restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental Paris offers a Daily Marx special lunch from 4 to 8 February at €48 as well as a brunch with Asian flavours from Sunday 10 February. Price: €98 per person or €118 with a glass of champagne.
The Peninsula Paris hotel is marking Chinese New Year in haute couture style: with vibrant red decor and a New Year’s Eve meal of six Shanghainese dishes in its restaurant Lili, not forgetting the traditional lion dances on 4 and 5 February.
The Shangri-La will mark the incoming New Year with a lion dance from 11am on 5 February, choreographed by the Kung Fu Pak Mei school of Lao Wei San. And the Michelin-starred Shang Palace restaurant, the only chinese starred restaurant in France, is offering a gastronomic Cantonese dinner from 2 to 8 February. Tasting menu: €138 per person.
In the Paris region
Each year, the towns of Courbevoie and Aubervilliers offer special colourful Chinese events: parades, shows, workshops ...
In Noisy-le-Grand (93), the Chinese New Year takes place on 17 February 2019, in front of the Espace Michel-Simon. On the programme: Asian village, martial arts demonstrations, make-up and mask-making, Lion Dance … Parade at 3.30pm: departing from in front of the Espace Michel-Simon. At 5pm: closing show of the event in the garden of the Town Hall.
The Huatian Chinagora Hotel in Alfortville celebrates the Chinese New Year with a fireworks display on 4 February at 9pm and the Lion Dance on 5 February at 12 noon.
In Nogent-sur-Marne (94) on Sunday 10 February 2019, the Chinese New Year will be celebrated at the Maison des Jeunes et de la Culture. Visitors will be able to discover the guqin (a Chinese instrument), enjoy a tea ceremony, admire a t’ai chi demonstration, see a painting exhibition, dress up in traditional clothing …